SHIRODHARA is the Ayurvedic star treatment, consisting of a constant flow of medicinal hot oil on the head for 40 minutes, an incredible experience that calms the mind deeply, reduces nerves, stress, anxiety, insomnia, rigidity … feel this state of deep peace and physical and mental well-being.
In Sanskrit, Shirodhara is composed of two words shiro + dhara. Shiro means head and Dhara means hot oil flow in this case, but it may be other products. Together they form a concept that brings physical and emotional balance by rejuvenating the spirit and preserving health. There are several specialized forms of shirodhara called tailadhara, ksheeradhara, takradhara and jaladhara.
Shirodhara is an ancient practice of Ayurvedic healing performed for more than 5,000 years. The patient lies on his back on a flat surface with his head back. A stream of warm oil is sprayed very slowly on the center of the forehead (the location of the “third eye”) for 60 minutes followed by a gentle massage on the scalp. You can use any combination of oil you want, depending on the constitution of each patient.
It is a great rejuvenation therapy that gives a healthy shine to the face and body. In Ayurveda, rejuvenating therapy is the golden path to achieve longevity, since it is aimed at preserving health. Modern lifestyles lead to poor health in different ways. Purification therapy is a unique feature of Ayurveda that involves the complete cleansing of the body and thereby eliminates vitiated doshas. The technique effectively deals with the balances of the doshas in their advanced stages. Stale doshas that cause blocked channels in a system, which needs purification of toxins or loves. Shirodhara is one of the best purification and rejuvenation therapies.
It works mainly in the mental envelope or “manomaya kosha” as it is called in Ayurveda. It is traditionally used to calm nerves, harmonize vata constitutions, restore balance, release stored emotions and purify the mind. In Ayurvedic medicine, it is considered an important tool in the search for higher states of consciousness. It has been traditionally shown that Shirodhara helps with fatigue, mental exhaustion, anxiety, insomnia, some mental disorders, headache, excessive thinking, nervousness and many other conditions that commonly affect people in the style of active life of today. In the Pitta constitutions, milk is generally recommended in Shirodhara instead of oil, especially in summer, as it is more refreshing. This is due to the fact that Pitta is heat and recovers more easily when cooled.
Regular shirodhara improves blood circulation to the brain, improves memory, nourishes hair and scalp, helps provide deep sleep and calms the body and mind. It is one of the most effective treatments to reduce stress and nervous tension.
- Mental and emotional relaxation therapy
- Beneficial for many diseases related to the head, neck, eyes, ears, nose and throat
- Beneficial for many diseases of the nervous system, such as nervous disorders, facial paralysis, paralysis and ptosis (drooping) of the eyelids.
- Beneficial for curing long-lasting insomnia and schizophrenia
- Beneficial for attacks of epilepsy when used together with other medications
- Prevents hair loss, premature graying and hair cracking
- Relieves headache and burning sensation in the head
- Nourishes and rejuvenates the body
- Stimulates the nervous system giving robustness to the body
- Improves digestion
- Sharpen the sense organs
- Improve voice quality
- Gives strength to the neck and head
- Improves the health of the skin
- Refreshes the body and relieves pain
- Invigorates the body and mind and stimulates cognitive memory
- Helps relieve fatigue, tension, anxiety, anger, chronic headaches, rheumatism, hypertension, asthma, hair problems and stress
- Disperses the negative electrical impulses that accumulate in the skull and hairline due to stress
- Renew the desire to live
- Rejuvenates the whole face and softens lines of concern
- Open the third eye of Lord Shiva with this therapeutic massage based on the Marmas
- Activates the pituitary gland
- Increase spiritual awareness
- Regulates mood disorders and depression
- Activates memory and stimulates the 6th and 7th charka that regulates our breathing patterns
- Increase intuition
- Improves concentration, intelligence, confidence and self-esteem
- Do therapy with a full stomach
- Severe Vata disorder
- People with severe anxiety and combined control problems
- Low blood pressure
- During pregnancy
- Recent neck injuries
- Brain tumors
- Abrasions or cuts in the head
- Rashes on the forehead or scalp
- Oil allergy